These energy bars are a staple snack in my house- I use them to refuel after a run or workout since they are a great source of protein and natural sugars. More importantly, they taste delicious, are quick and easy to make, and can be made entirely from Fairtrade ingredients available at Good Taste!
- 250g cashew nuts
- 100g dried dates
- 100g raisins or sultanas
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp water
- Put the cashew nuts, dried dates, raisins/sultanas and cocoa powder into a food processor and blend for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the water a tablespoon at a time and blend until the mixture has a texture similar to stiff cookie dough.
- Line a small baking tray, cake tin or roasting tin with baking parchment (I used a cake tin which results in energy ‘slices’ rather than bars).
- Spoon the mixture into the lined tin and press down with your fingers or the back of a spoon.
- Cover (e.g., with some more baking parchment or the lid of a Tupperware) and place in the fridge overnight.
- After around 12 hours in the fridge, the mixture will have hardened so that you can cut it into bars or slices. You should be able to make about 12 from this recipe.
- Store the bars/slices in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to a week.